Monday, July 4, 2011

Never Let Me Go-4-Stream of Consciousness

"I won't be a carer any more come the end of the year, and though I've got a lot out of it, I have to admit I'll welcome the chance to rest-to stop and think and remember." (pg. 37)

The plot hasn't really been following any specific timeline. It goes in whatever order Kathy decides, and to me, it seems very random. This style of stream of consciousness makes the work that much more mysterious, because the flow is unpredictable, and I have no clue what to expect next. In this chapter, Kathy reflects on the token controversy, which is between the story of the pond and the story of Madame. Then there was the random story of when Miss Emily saw Kathy on the path. Maybe that was just part of characterizing Miss Emily, but the actual story could be very relevant. Somehow, it all has to fit together, but that will come later.

Another really interesting thing I noticed is that no one has last names. The guardians are all Miss something, Madame doesn't even have a first name, and the children have one initial for their last name. To me, it almost seems as if they're being labeled simply as a way to tell them apart.

1 comment:

  1. you don't think she's recalling her childhood fairly chronologically?

    ReplyDelete