Thursday, July 7, 2011

Never Let Me Go-15

“I thought about Hailsham closing, and how it was like someone coming along with a pair of shears and snipping the balloon strings just where they entwined above the man's fist. Once that happened, there'd be no real sense in which those balloons belonged with each other any more.” (pg. 213)

It was revealed in this chapter that Hailsham closed down. Kathy reflected on that for a long time, and I guess if I put it into perspective and thought about my own school closing, I would be pretty upset, but I don't really understand exactly how she feels. As much time as we spend at Roncalli with our class, its nothing like the time Kathy and her peers spent at Hailsham. The balloon analogy was really vivid, and that helped me picture it, but its still hard to fathom that feeling of being lost. I think Hailsham closing is going to somehow be important for the rest of the book.

Kathy officially becomes Ruth's carer, and at first things are alright between them, although it is kind of awkward. It's kind of a role reversal, with Kathy in the authoritative seat. Ruth was always the one telling other people what to do, but now she's a donor who doesn't get much say in anything. They're going to visit Tommy, which will be a really interesting encounter after the way everything ended between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment