Thursday, July 7, 2011

Never Let Me Go-16

“'I was pretty much ready when I became a donor. It felt right. After all, it's what we're supposed to be doing, isn't it?” (pg. 227)

Not that its been any different so far in the book, but the characters' nonchalance about organ donation really hit me in the beginning of this. They're maybe mid-thirties, and they're about to start giving up vital organs, and they're probably going to “complete.” There's no argument, no cries of unfairness, of cruelty. They just take it. I'd think that one of them would stand up and say, “Hey, we may be clones, but we're people too,” but no, there's no one like that.

This was obviously a huge chapter. What Ruth said didn't surprise me, although the fact that she said it did. I said a few blogs ago that I thought Tommy and Kathy went together far better than a Tommy and Ruth did. Ruth's death happened so fast; it reiterates my point above. It wasn't like she fell asleep and didn't wake up. Her last few days were pure agony. Maybe that's the way Ishiguro imagines it, but I really can't believe that these people have suffered for who knows how many generations and no one ever rebelled or tried to outrun the donations.  

1 comment: