Thursday, July 7, 2011

Never Let Me Go-20-Theme

“...and I half-closed my eyes and imagined this was the spot where everything I'd ever lost since my childhood had washed up, and I was now standing here in front of it...” (pg. 287)

When I first finished the novel I just sat there. I really did despise the first half of the book, but the last few chapters blew my mind. I just can't fathom that kind of world, even though I know in some ways it's similar to the one we live in. A connection that comes to mind is abortion. People abort their babies for many reasons, and though I can sympathize with many of the emotions of fear or helplessness, that doesn't make it right. Maybe Ishiguro doesn't want us to look at clones necessarily, but the way we treat people in general. I think the theme is more about taking advantage of people than anything. There are so many minorities and poor that society uses carelessly and then throws them away. Maybe our worlds are really similar, and that's just a scary thought.



1 comment:

  1. Good blog entries, Alyssa. It seems that the book got you thinking, which is always a sign of a challenging but successful read.

    As you work through Brave New World, look for connections between the two novels.

    ReplyDelete