Thursday, July 7, 2011

Never Let Me Go-19

“I saw a new world coming rapidly. More scientific, efficient, yes. More cures for the old sicknesses. Very good. But a harsh, cruel world.” (pg. 272)

This chapter started with a heart breaker. I didn't actually think they would get the deferral, but I would have at least imagined that they would be given a shot. The entire chapter continues that way from one depressing tale to another. I guess I got all the answers, although I can't say I'm happy about any of them. I think that's what makes a book real though. Answers and endings that aren't happy. They don't have to be unhappy necessarily, but it can't be forced. These explanations felt natural. The logic, the chances, the whims of people, it's all so unexplainable, but so true. I mean, as awful as it is, there are people in this world who are racist and sexist and every other type of prejudice, so it's no shock that people would be so cruel to people just because they're clones. I'm definitely not happy about it, and I wish I could say the last chapter will change everything, but I know that can't be. Tommy will have his fourth donation and complete. Kathy will end her time as a donor and everything will be exactly the same for the rest of the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment