Thursday, July 7, 2011

Never Let Me Go-11-Motivation

“I could see that Ruth was making a big effort to present not just herself, but all of us, in the right way to Chrissie and Rodney; and here I was, threatening to undermine her and start an embarrassing scene.” (pg. 148)

Throughout the novel, it has been apparent that Ruth wants to be well-liked by her peers. In many ways, she's the girl who will do anything to be “popular.” Even when the girls were younger, Ruth was obsessed with being the center of attention. She is even willing to be rude to Kathy and Tommy to do so. Kathy believes Ruth is doing it for the good of everyone, but if that were so, why would she be so cruel to them and make a point to belittle them in front of all the veterans? No matter what Kathy thinks, I feel that Ruth's main motivation isn't the good of the group, but the good of herself.

The idea of “possibles” are mentioned in this section. A while ago, I thought about how if they were clones, then they had to be cloned from someone. I'm not surprised at all that they had speculated about it, but I personally don't see the interest in finding one's “possible.” It wouldn't change anything about their lives or being forced into organ donation, so I guess I don't really see a point in searching.  

No comments:

Post a Comment