Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Brave New World-11-Onomatopoeia

"Zip, and then zip; zip, and then zip;..." (pg. 143)

Everyone has sat and mindlessly played with a zipper. Even just getting dressed everyday, it's a common sound. Most people have seen the wonder on a child's face as he or she plays with a zipper. When my sister Emma was a baby, she was astonished by the sound, so that made this onomatopoeia really help me imagine the scene as John plays with a zipper for the first time. He's read Shakespeare and seems so mature, but he's still so naive when it comes to technology. He's been going up in a culture that is primal even by today's standards-even by the standards of 500 years ago. Honestly, if he is this in awe of a zipper, it'll be really interesting to see the technology in London. I mean, it's one thing to hear about it from his mom; it'll be something completely different to see it. I really don't think he's going to fit in at all in London, and I don't really think he'll like it. No matter how hard his mom tried, he was not raised like those in London, and I don't think he'll be okay with the way they live.

No comments:

Post a Comment