Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Brave New World-10-Flashback

"'As far back as I can remember.'" (pg. 123)

This chapter is almost entirely a flashback. It tells us all the important events in John's life so that we can understand what has made him the person he is. I noted in my last blog that John is a mix of both worlds, and these flashbacks reinforce that. I would have to say that not only is he a mix , but he's a mix of the best of both worlds. He's not a savage, but he wasn't conditioned, so he's not a robot either. I'm hoping that this will come into play to create a balanced society (in case you haven't caught on, this book better not end like NLMG, or I will not be happy.)

I think these flashbacks reiterate that no society is perfect, and just because our society is different from someone else's doesn't mean their way is the wrong way. I sound like a hypocrite now because I am personally against the society of the "Other Place." I guess as long as the people are free to live as they want. Again, this futuristic almost lives up to that. I mean, people are brainwashed to think this way, but a child who is raised in a Catholic or Muslim (or any religious) home, is taught to think a certain way from the day their born (and I'm not in any way saying that's wrong). Now that I put it that way, I kind of see this society in a different light. I still have a hard time justifying everything they're doing, but that's because I was raised differently. In the end though, who gets to say what's right and what's wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment