Thursday, September 29, 2011

"My mistress' eyes" by William Shakespeare- Simile

"My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;"

Most poems that describe love often resort to describing the lover's physical beauty. At times, this becomes the main theme of the poem. However, this sonnet by Shakespeare is nothing like that. The speaker mentions all the typical comparisons that poets describe their lovers as, but then negates every one. My first impression was that the speaker wasn't praising his love, but actually trying to be offensive. However, once I read the last line, I understood. "And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare/ As any she belied with false compare." The speaker is saying that although she isn't society's version of beauty, he loves her for what she is. He sees the beauty in her face, even though others may not, and he also sees the beauty inside of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment