Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"I taste a liquor never brewed"- Extended Metaphor

"When butterflies-renounce their 'drams'-
I shall but drink the more!"

In this poem, the speaker is comparing the feeling he or she gets when outside to the feeling of being intoxicated. Since this comparison runs throughout the poem, it is an extended metaphor. Although the speaker uses words such as "Inebriate" and "Debauchee," it is clear that he or she is not actually getting drunk. The liquor that is described is "never brewed," so it cannot be a physical, intoxicating drink. Obviously, the speaker is being metaphorical and uses words such as "Air," "Dew," and "endless summer days," to show the audience that it is in fact the beauty of nature that makes him or her feel drunk. In the fourth stanza, the speaker mentions that even the "Saints" and "Seraphs" approve of this kind of "intoxication." This reminds of the feeling I get when I'm overly tired and completely "slap happy." I feel extremely happy to the point that I can't even think rationally, and I think this is the speaker's point: that the natural beauty of the world around us is beyond our ability to rationally comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment