Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Death of a Salesman - Sympathy?

WILLY - "Tell you a secret, boys. Don't breathe it to a soul. Someday I'll have my own business, and I'll never have to leave home any more" (Death of a Salesman, 1559).


Upon first finishing the play, I felt absolutely no sympathy for Willy. I believed that he was prideful and cruel to his family. While most of me still believes that to be true, a part of me feels bad for Willy. He got sucked into the trap of society. He believed that wealth and "success" were the only important parts of life. Because of how he believed that he had to live his life, he missed the beautiful parts of his life, like his wife and sons. He had all these grand dreams, like most people have, and he just couldn't let them go. It's like he never had a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment