Thursday, February 16, 2012

"As You Like It" - Dynamic Character

"'T was I; but 't is not I: I do not shame
To tell you what I was, since my conversion
So sweetly tastes, being the thing I am." (pg. 65)

Oliver is a dynamic character who changes from cruel and bitter to kind and loving. In the beginning of the play, Oliver loved power and mistreated his brother Orlando. This begins to change when Duke Frederick gives him a taste of his own medicine. Duke Frederick threatens to take away all of Oliver's possessions if he does not bring back Orlando. Then, when Oliver is almost killed and Orlando saves him, he realizes that he should not turn in his brother to Duke Frederick. The last thing that changes Oliver is Celia. Oliver's love for Celia turns him into a better person. He gives up all of his possessions to Orlando so that he can live as a shepherd in the forest with Celia.

No comments:

Post a Comment